Monday, August 3, 2015

Why I Want You to Teach My Kids: Seeking Meaningful Intergenerational Connections

I was lucky enough to grow up living next door to my mom’s parents. I attribute my early embrace of feminism to my grandmother’s lifelong commitment to educating herself. And my interest in history definitely came from hearing all of my grandpa’s stories about growing up in the Dust Bowl. My close relationship with my grandparents connected me to a generational and familial past while giving me confidence to dream about my own future. But like many of my peers, my life path has led me far from my family of origin. 
Julian and Celia only see their grandparents two or three times per year. To make up for that loss of family, I have worked hard to build a support network of friends who can provide my kids with the deep connections all children need to thrive. And my quest to find positive intergenerational influences for Julian and Celia is a primary motivator behind my commitment to UUCUC. I bring them to Green Street each week in part so they can meet and know other adults who live deliberately ethical lives. 
But one of my greatest frustrations at UUCUC has been the divide between “upstairs” and “downstairs” – there simply isn’t enough intergenerational interaction to fulfill my wish for my kids to truly know people outside their and my generations. I have spent the last two years teaching RE and know firsthand the joys of teaching the children of my peers. I’m writing to ask you to do the same in the coming year. Give of your time and yourself, and you will make a real difference the lives of our youth.                                                           – Julie Laut

If you'd like to sign up to teach Religious Education (RE) to our UU youth during 2015-2016, please contact our RE Director Cindy Wakeland at re-director@uucuc.org by Thursday, August 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment